The National Advertising Division (NAD) has referred advertising for “My Low Press,” a dietary supplement marketed by Star Herbs, LLC, to the Federal Trade Commission for further review after the company declined to participate in an NAD review of its advertising claims.
NAD is an investigative unit of the advertising industry’s system of self-regulation. It is administered by the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
As part of NAD’s initiative with the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN)
to expand the review of advertising for dietary supplements, CRN challenged the following claims:
· “If your blood pressure remains high regardless of positive lifestyle changes, you’re likely to be prescribed medication. These treat only the symptoms rather than the core causes. And they can introduce serious undesired side effects. Star Herbs’ My Low Press herbal formula offers powerful, all-natural support for lowering blood pressure and maintaining it at normal levels without any side effects.”
· “And if you are at risk of hypertension, My Low Press may also help prevent its development.”
· “The My Low Press blend of natural herbs helps improve circulation throughout the different organs and reduces inflammation.”
· “My Low Press also helps alleviate blood related deficiencies such as anemia and dizziness.”
· “Star Herbs offers affordable natural solutions as alternatives to regular medications that are not only good for your body, but don’t cause the adverse side effects commonly associated with many pharmaceuticals.”
· “We provide natural supplements made from natural herbs and spices that can have an immediate impact on your symptoms and in the long term help balance your body for improved all-around health. Today most people are actively looking for alternative choices because many doctor-prescribed drugs introduce unnecessary health risks that are just as dangerous, if not more so, than the condition they are meant to treat.”
· “The natural supplements at Star Herbs offer alternative and long term remedies for conditions such as: high blood pressure, allergies, breath problems, kidney/liver problems.”
· “When I was first diagnosed with hypertension, my blood pressure numbers were persistently in the high 160s over 100. After taking the medication that was prescribed by my doctor, the numbers were normal but my entire body felt swollen and uncomfortable, so I decided to seek treatment with natural alternative medicine and that’s how I found Star Herbs’ My Low Press.
· After taking the all herbal, all natural formula My Low Press, my blood pressure has returned to normal; 130s over 80s, my feet, legs and all of my body are no longer puffy. Also the dizziness is gone… no more ringing in my ears, and I also sleep better at night now.
· I’m so happy with what My Low Press has done for me and NO side effects.”
NAD was extremely concerned that the challenged claims have the potential to influence consumers to forego necessary medical treatment for high blood pressure or hypertension, which could lead to serious health consequences for consumers.
However, the advertiser chose not to participate in this NAD proceeding. Pursuant to Section 2.10 of the NAD/NARB Procedures, NAD is referring this matter to the Federal Trade Commission.
NAD Refers Star Herbs Advertising to FTC