More than half of all Americans take prescription drugs, and most are unaware that they could have reduced levels of certain nutrients as a result. Science has shown that key nutrients, such as CoQ10, vitamin D, folic acid and vitamin B12, are often found to be at low levels in people who use many prescription drugs, such as medications for high cholesterol, heartburn/acid reflux, depression, arthritis and diabetes.
Reduced levels of certain nutrients may have an effect on heart health, bone health, energy levels and muscle discomfort. To address these health concerns, Nature Made developed Rx Essentials, a new dietary supplement line that helps meet the nutritional needs of people taking common prescription medications. It should be noted that prescription drugs are important to health and will function without these products; Rx Essentials are not intended to replace prescription drugs.
"There is a growing body of scientific research showing that a number of prescription medications can reduce certain key nutrients in the body," said Alan Agins, PhD, President of PRN Associates, Ltd. "In addition to a balanced diet and regular exercise, people should be attuned to their nutritional status when taking prescription medications and use dietary supplements to ensure adequate nutrient levels."
Rx Essentials help boost key nutrient levels and are designed to complement the specific nutritional needs associated with an individual's medication. Nature Made is committed to maximizing people's health by offering dietary supplements, expert advice, information and resources that promote healthy lifestyles.
A number of scientific studies address the relationship between certain medications and low levels of nutrients:
* Several studies, including one published in the American Journal of Cardiology, have shown that people taking statin cholesterol-reducing drugs (such as Lipitor, Zocor, and Pravachol have lower blood levels of CoQ10, an antioxidant and an important nutrient for heart health).
• Numerous clinical studies link a common class of acid reflux medications that includes Nexium, Prevacid, and Prilosec with a decreased absorption of the nutrients calcium and vitamin B12 that are important for maintaining bone health.
* Several studies indicate that some people suffering from depression may have lower blood levels of certain B vitamins and vitamin D.
• Some studies review the relationship between low levels of certain key nutrients and people who take certain anti-inflammatory medications.
• Some research shows that people who take diabetes medications (such as Metformin, Glucophage, Glucovance may have lower levels of vitamin B12 and folic acid, key nutrients which support heart health.
Rx Essentials is an innovative line of dietary supplements now available in most food, drug and mass merchandise stores nationwide. The line includes:
-- Rx Essentials for People taking Cholesterol Medication
-- Rx Essentials for People taking Heartburn and Acid Reflux Medication
-- Rx Essentials for People taking Antidepressants Medication
-- Rx Essentials for People taking Arthritis Medication
-- Rx Essentials for People taking Diabetes Medication